RCF is for the convinced and the unconvinced, the lost, the found, the burned, the bored, cynical and the spiritual. We invite you, no matter where you are in the process, to explore, grow with, and experience God.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

So, elephant in the room. It's been ages since a lot of you have heard from me. Rest assured, Becky, Scout and I are all well (although Scout gets a little emotional from time to time). Many of you have probably already heard that I starting working a part-time job on top of doing RCF. The Red Barn is a great place to work, and I'm already starting to settle in and see the Gospel effect my co-workers. On that note, I have a greater appreciation for what zoo animals endure every day. The first two weeks of my job there felt a little like a "pick the conservative Protestant's brain" session. But, I made it through, and retained my job...which is obviously a bonus!
  So, we've been trucking through 1st. John in RCF this quarter, which I must say has been incredible. I owe a lot of observations to Martyn Lloyd Jones..(his commentary series is called "Life in Christ"). It's a lot of work to read but well worth the time. The one thing that has stood out above everything else has been John's fundamental concept of the Gospel. Most of us, if asked what the Gospel was about, would likely speak of eternal life, justification by faith, Reformed theology buffs would no doubt extol the virtues of Christs expiating sacrifice on Calvary...with a dash of chatter regarding the active, and passive obedience of Jesus. John brushes all that aside. According to John. The Gospel is about having fellowship with God....now. Bearing that in mind, our Christian life no longer falls into academic or hypothetical elements regarding some sort of cold doctrine, or theological treatise. It shifts the premise to a more relational position. Everything from what we do with our day, how we think about our neighbors, to how we engage in politics becomes wrapped in that greater theme of preserving, and enjoying our fellowship with the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment